- Academic Accomplishment
- Ensure that your exceptional academic accomplishment and strong character is publicly recognized by the entire Electrical and Computer Engineering industry.
- Networking Opportunities
- Gain numerous networking opportunities by joining an organization that has members in leading roles with corporations, government and universities.
- Long-term Relationships
- Build a network of long-term relationships that will aid your career with HKN students who will become your friends and professional colleagues.
- Resume Enhancer
- Use your HKN membership as a resume enhancer when seeking a position or applying for graduate school.
Employers prefer to hire HKN members with their leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Receive opportunities to help the CSE and ECE departments to improve their curricula, participate in outreach and community service activities,
and assist fellow students through tutoring program
- HKN Activities
- Participate in HKN activities, which enable development of vital professional skills such as leadership, communications,
and teamwork through practical hands-on experience.
- Leadership Skills
- Develop leadership skills to prepare for high track professional careers.
You can find more benefits from the HKN headquarter webpage.
In order to be invited as an undergraduate student, the student must be in one of following departments:
ECE, CSE, MAE, NANO
One of following requirements (depending on the student’s major) must be fulfilled:
- Electrical Engineering
- Three ECE courses, one of which must be ECE 35
- Computer Science
- Three CSE courses (excluding CSE courses below 8B), two of which must be CSE 12 and CSE 30
- Computer Engineering
- Three CSE or ECE courses (excluding CSE courses below 8B), one of which must be either CSE 30 or ECE 35
- Chemical Engineering
- At least CENG 100
- NANO 15 and taken or currently taking Nano 101
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- MAE 3 or MAE 8
- Environmental Engineering
- CHEM 140A
In addition, one of following requirements (depending on the student’s class standing) must be fulfilled:
- Undergraduate Sophomore Students
- The top fifth (1/5) of the sophomore class
- Undergraduate Junior Students
- The top quarter (1/4) of the junior class
- Undergraduate Senior Students
- The top third (1/3) of the senior class
- Graduate Students
- All graduate students are encouraged to become members of HKN as long as they are in fields related to majors aforementioned.
- All faculty of the CSE and ECE departments with the rank of Assistant Professor or higher should be considered for HKN membership.
The invitation letter will be sent at the end of fall and winter quarter.
The invitees can begin fulfilling the membership requirements to become an official member.
Once you have been invited, you have already proven your academic excellence. In addition to having required scholastic rank, members of HKN must possess an impeccable character, work in harmony with all types of people, and have a genial nature. Generally, we want to know more about you. Therefore, you will need to participate and complete the following requirements:
1. Submit electronic resume to CAP database
2. Submit a copy of your resume to HKN by email to hkn.kappa.psi[at]gmail.com
3. Attend one resume/interview workshop held by HKN, Career Services Center, or an approved event. (HKN mock interviews will count towards this requirement)
You need to get a signature from a Career Service Center representative or coordinator.
4. Attend or volunteer at HKN events for at least 10 hours.
You will need to get your hours of participation verified by at least 4 different HKN officer (for approved events)
5. One-time membership payment: $80 (For checks, pay to the order of Eta Kappa Nu)
Everything above must be completed and turned in by the deadline for your inducting class.
For all the invitees who have successfully completed all the requirements, the induction ceremony will be held on the Friday of Week 2 in Winter for winter inductees, or Friday of Week 7 for spring inductees.
The details will be announced via emails and website in the future.