- Academic Accomplishment
- Ensure that your exceptional academic accomplishment and strong character is publicly recognized by the entire Electrical and Computer Engineering industry.
- Networking Opportunities
- Gain numerous networking opportunities by joining an organization that has members in leading roles with corporations, government and universities.
- Long-term Relationships
- Build a network of long-term relationships that will aid your career with HKN students who will become your friends and professional colleagues.
- Resume Enhancer
- Use your HKN membership as a resume enhancer when seeking a position or applying for graduate school. Employers prefer to hire HKN members with their leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Receive opportunities to help the CSE and ECE departments to improve their curricula, participate in outreach and community service activities, and assist fellow students through tutoring program
- HKN Activities
- Participate in HKN activities, which enable development of vital professional skills such as leadership, communications, and teamwork through practical hands-on experience.
- Leadership Skills
- Develop leadership skills to prepare for high track professional careers.
You can find more benefits from the HKN headquarter webpage.
In order to be invited as an undergraduate student, the student must be in one of following majors:
Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering Physics
In addition, one of following requirements (depending on the student's class standing) must be fulfilled:
- Undergraduate Junior Students
- The top quarter of the junior class
- Undergraduate Senior Students
- The top third of the senior class
- Graduate Students
- All graduate students are encouraged to become members of HKN as long as they are in fields related to majors aforementioned.
- All faculty of the CSE and ECE departments with the rank of Assistant Professor or higher should be considered for HKN membership
The invitation letter will be sent at the end of fall and winter quarter. The invitees can begin fulfilling the membership requirements to become an official member.
Once you have been invited, you have already proven your academic excellence. In addition to having required scholastic rank, members of HKN must possess an impeachable character, work in harmony with all types of people, and have genial nature. Generally, we want to know more about you. Hence, you will need to participate and complete the Membership Requirement Form. Here are list of requirements that need to be completed by the end of 8th week.
1. Submit electronic resume to CAP database
and HKN (ucsdhkn[at]gmail.com)
2. Attend one resume workshop and one interview workshop
You need to get a signature from a Career Service Center representative or coordinator.
3. Attend or volunteer at HKN events for at least 10 hours.
You will need to get your hours of participation verified by a HKN officer or TESC officer/personnel.
4. One-time payment: $75 (For checks, pay to the order of Eta Kappa Nu)
Everything above along with the form must be completed and turned in by the end of 8th week.
For all the invitees who have successfully completed all the requirements, the induction ceremony will be held on the Friday of week 6 (for Winter 2013).
The details will be announced via emails and website in the future.
Induction ceremonies are held only in winter and spring quarters.